Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pincurls and Eating the Layers of the Skin

Hurray for the second week of school! I'm back in town and caught up on sleep, so I can't wait to tackle the next five days of class and work.

I also had some down time on Sunday afternoon and got a lot of work done for next couple chapters we will be doing in theory. I even had time to complete my workbook pages for c-shaping, fingerwaves, and pincurls. I also learned from my readings a fun fact that I had never heard of before! It's said that you should drink 8 glasses of water a day, but it is actually a different number for each person. Take your weight and divide it by 16 - that's how many 8 ounce glasses of water you should be drinking each day!

I absolutely loved my weekend vacation and had a fabulous time - BUT - I will never, EVER miss a class ever again. I feel like I'm weeks behind everyone else, even though the class barely started working on pincurls. I was in overdrive today trying to get ahead of our current material so I could take a couple breaks and go back over Saturday's material.

After reuniting with Wanda, we watched a short video on pincurls and got right to work. On Saturday, my class learned how to carve pincurls out of a c-shaping. Today, we moved on to square-base, no-stem curls. We did a full front section of those, then we carved out some half-stem curls out of c-shapings in the back of the head, all the way to the nape. These styles are going to be the first full styles we will finish - we put our mannequins in the dryer and tomorrow we will learn how to comb/brush out the curls and how to set the hair.


This is Wanda, a little over halfway done. I'm really happy with how her square-base curls turned out, but I need a lot more practice carving curls out of a shaping to catch up with the other girls.

I also did the unspeakable today - I worked with a mannequin other than Wanda while she was in the dryer. This mannequin had thick, super curly hair, which was quite a departure from Wanda's fine, thin, and limp hair. I had a lot of fun backcombing and teasing the new mannequin's natural curl before I got down to business. It turned into a huge afro at one point, and with her makeup done up and her afro of dark curls, she reminded me of a diva. I've decided to name her Aretha and I think I'll starting splitting my time between Wanda and Aretha to get experience with different hair types and textures.



We're still learning all about skin in theory. We had homework due today, the first homework of any kind that I've done in over a year! It was kind of fun and nostalgic in a weird way to get out my books and work for a little while on something. Something tells me that'll pass in about another week and I'll be back to hating homework.

Today we focused on the layers of the skin and took notes for most of the class. We did have a delicious surprise though, as Ms. Fitz brought in a dessert than demonstrated the layers of the epidermis. There was sponge cake and vanilla pudding for the stratum germinativum, strawberries for the stratum spinosum, blueberries for the stratum granulosum, lemon jello for the stratum lucidum, and cool whip covered in shaved coconut for the stratum corneum. I love things like that because they make the material really easy to remember when it comes time to take an exam.

I'm going to try and be good and go to bed in the next hour so I can keep up my energy! I let myself get too exhausted and tried to get by on way too few hours of sleep last week. I can't wait to see how Wanda's curls look tomorrow night!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Wanda with her limp hair! Hope you can turn that around for her so she doesn't get to jealous of Aretha!

    ReplyDelete