Wednesday, February 2, 2011

C-Shapes and Finger Waves

Another long day and I'm glad to be snuggling up in bed!

Today was another no-theory day, so we spent the entire four hours in practical class. At the beginning of class, we each set up our stations with a mannequin and get ready to observe a demonstration. As much as I dislike the mannequins in general, I've already grown attached to the head I used last class. She's got olive skin and a beauty mark above her lip and I've named her Wanda. Wanda has pretty good hair for a mannequin and she isn't too creepy looking!

The first technique we learned today was C-shaping. It is exactly what it sounds like, combing and manipulating the hair into a C-shape. The hair has to be wet and slathered with an ungodly amount of gel to do this . As much I would like to be an instant expert on everything, C-shaping does not come easily to me. Since I'm left handed, I'm having a hard time flipping some of the demonstrations in my head so that I can visualize how I need to do it.

My first couple tries were total failures and I couldn't find a way to work section by section without messing up what I had already done. I kept getting "betters," but I desperately wanted a "good," which I did end up getting about thirty minutes later!

C-shapes are the base for finger waves, which we worked on again today. We mostly watched video and live-demonstration of finger waves yesterday, and some of us got to try out the technique on our instructor's mannequin. Once we started working on them again today, I really got into what I was doing and finished my whole head in about fifteen minutes! I don't quite understand why I'm terrible at C-shaping, yet good at finger waves, but I'm not complaining!


This is one of the fingerwaving sections I did today on Wanda. I think it's a good look for her :)

5 comments:

  1. 1) love the post
    2) am more than a little scared of wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Wanda! Reminds me of Ta-wanda! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool picture. I'm taking up Texas cosmetology license course too and I have to say that just like you, there are days that can be exhausting but still is exciting. Like your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im taking cometology classes in chattanooga tn at chattstate and my gosh....fingerwaves and c-shaping are some hard tasks! But gud job and keep up the gud work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am left handed and struggle with forming the c shape.I am in Illinois and will be starting beauty school in June. Bought a manikin so I can practice finger waves.

    ReplyDelete