Saturday, February 26, 2011

1,431 Hours to Go

My first month in school is over, and I couldn't be more tired, exhausted, excited, or proud! There has been a lot of drama in my personal life this month, but I've had school and new friends to keep me busy and help me stay sane.

To continue with the Texas Hair Week saga, I bring you roller set #34958223852958 of my life:


At about 11:30 on Saturday, the whole class finally finished rolling the 3 sets of each base type we needed to move on. Little did we know, we'd be moving on to...more roller sets. Now, instead of doing a standard set, we are learning how to place the rollers and how to roll a variety of directions and bases in the same set to create a style. This is my attempt at style #14, which I also photographed to show how ridiculous it is that someone thinks a roller set will produce that look (but more on that in a second...)


I followed the instructions on the back perfectly, but the end result was what I think 98% of rollers produce - a poofy, unwearable hairstyle with lots of parts that are sometimes impossible to hide, even with ungodly amounts of teasing and brushing. Personally, to achieve the look in this picture, I would've blown out the client's hair with a paddle brush, flat ironed if necessary, and used texturizing wax. 

I'm hoping that as I get more practice with the roller sets I will discover techniques and styles that I like and that I can achieve, because I have been a little disheartened this week with how similar every set looks. 

I also had an exam on Thursday night, it was our toughest so far and I studied quite a bit for it. Thankfully, it all paid off and I got another 100%. The material in theory can be difficult, but it is so much easier to study something when you are interested in it!

Last night, my friend Emily came over to the house and I did her hair for a formal she was going to later that night. On a whim a couple hours before she came over, I decided to do an updo - my first one ever! I was really nervous because I hadn't completely planned out how I was going to do the front of the hair and also because I wasn't sure if the rest of my plans would work on her gorgeous, but incredibly thick hair.  I have to say, I'm super proud of the way it turned out!


I'm quite the nit-picker. so I don't think it's perfect, but I think it's a great starting point. This is the only picture I have of the style since she had to rush out the door to finish getting ready, but I can't wait to see more pictures from different angles from later in the night. I hope more friends will let me play and experiment with their hair very soon because I had a blast :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the undo! And congrats on the 100 on your exam!
    Can't wait for you to 'practice' on my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, autocorrect above! Should have said 'updo' !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! We have a passing rate of 98.5% visit https://cosmetologystateboardexam.com/ to help you pass your state board exams!

    ReplyDelete